| Central Oslo |
S
was keen on doing Iceland. We did dream about Iceland once in 2020, which got
dropped due to the pandemic. Yet, this time I suggested Norway, which appeared
to be less strenuous than Iceland. After days of cogitation, we decided on
Norway, because of: direct flights to Oslo, lesser number of days, slightly less
heavy on pockets, and the anxiety of doing whole the ring road which involves
single night stays in most places, which S was not mentally ready. My close
friend at work ‘N’ had been to Norway few years back. His itinerary gave me
quick idea of which cities to go.
A
few snippets about Norway: - Norway is known for its fjords, treks, waterfalls,
northern lights (during winters), midnight sun (during summers) and its
pristine backdrops all over. Lots of unique trekking spots like trolltonga,
pulpit rock, kjeragbolten, etc, are one of the best scenic hikes in the world. These
are largely in the southern part of Norway. They are roughly 6-8hours ones,
thereby compelling one to stay in neighboring towns. Northern lights and
midnight sun can be seen above the artic circle - towns like tromso and lofoten
islands. For the more adventurous ones – Svalbard – an island located above the
northern tip of Norway, and is supposedly incredible. Towns like Bergen,
Alesund, stavenger are more of culture, food, coffee shops and walks. Between
Bergen in the west and Alesund in north – sceneries galore: fjords, mountains,
waterfalls, cottagecore towns, snow even during summer, etc. I finalized on an itinerary of oslo-flam-alesund-
and fly to amsterdam from alesund.
Oslo – the Scandanavian nicety
This
is S’s first entry into a Scandinavia. I had the privilege of doing a
boys trips to Saariselka in Finland in Feb 2020 with N and A – yes, I did see
northern lights and yes ofcourse, it was right at the cusp of lockdown. S was going a
tough time over last year or so – mentally and physically battling a vestibular
imbalance issue and the general derangement that covid and lockdowns has
created not just for us but for countless fellow humans. I was keen on
dedicating the holiday for her. I had promised that the entire trip would be
kept flexible based on her convenience, mood, and physical disposition ☺.
Two
days in Oslo was prefatory. We got acclimatized to weather, went around oslo -
few popular spots, got a glimpse of the ‘noble’ buildings and got the necessary
paraphernalia like sim cards, etc for the rest of our journey.
Before
the trip, I had asked Vidur and Vedha to do some research and give me their
choice of places to see around the trinary locations; just to inspirit them and
bring some euphoria. Nothing worthwhile came out! 😊. So, I gave them some targeted task – such as, find
out options for: transport passes in Oslo and Amsterdam, best way to reach Oslo
central from airport, which SIM card to buy in Norway, etc. Vidur had come with
a suggestion of SIM from Telia (one out of 3 providers). To instill some confidence
in him, I blindly went by it. We found
Telia shop near the central station; got 2 SIMs activated.
We got into Ruter’s office nearby to purchase
our day passes for public transport. Though Vidur had told me to purchase it
from the app, upon seeing the office I went to customer service, which was right by the station,
because I somehow wanted to evade from S’s multitudinous questions, half of which,
she’s aware that I don’t know, yet incessantly bombarding me or asking me to
enquire with someone, which also - she knows - is out of my comfort zone. At
least let the counter attendant be gainfully employed for some time, I thought.
We also got metro / tram route map and city maps. I gave one each to both Vs to
get their feet wet in comprehending metro maps.
| on way to holmenkollen |
We
tried Mcdonald’s for lunch; unsurprisingly the ‘veggie delight’ too had chicken
in it. Vidur pulled us into Subway. S and I have travelled lot of Europe, east
and west of US, Canada, etc. yet, such a shame that we have never ventured into
Subway – yes, not even once!; scandalous
– no?. I was frivolously thinking it’s
another joint like KFC, burger king; thankfully S was not better either. A
reluctant entry turned into a delightful meal.
| vigeland sculpture park |
| vigeland park |
| ferry ride to island inside olso |
Heart of our Trip – Flåm
I
had booked the car from Oslo airport on 27th July; a corolla station
wagon which has a bigger boot space. Just as I vaticinated, the boot was
barely enough despite being longer, forcing us keep the smaller bags in rear seat.
It was a hybrid car with good interiors and fairly new. Some travel blogs had advised
not to venture central Oslo by car if you are a novice; trams / busses can
confuse the hell out of you. Therefore, we dragged our suitcases down all the
way to airport to pick up the car.
My usual obsession with booking.com made this accomodation hunt in flam a laborious one - went on for quite a few days. I had my nose applied to grindstone booking umpteen hotels on cancellable basis in booking.com, wrecking my brains over the options, route and evaluating pros & cons; besides, earning S’s wrath for spending evenings in front of laptop. On a regular lunch time tête-à-tête with N, he mentioned about Airbnb being his chalk-horse. I was stumped thinking how ‘airbnb’ did not cross my mind. I found a beautiful house in Ardalstagen which is an hour drive from flam, in airbnb. Oslo to Ardal was 4.5hours drive. After a couple of hours from Oslo aiport, we stopped at petrol station for lunch break. There was big kiwi supermarket adjacent to it and there was a lake and a mountain behind the station. We had our sandwiches for lunch, took an ice-cream stick each and a long walk across the lake, spending nearly an hour. The next part of drive towards Ardal gave us the first Norwegian experience. The breathtaking drive took us to top of a mountain: snow, glacier lakes, lush greenery and chill breeze - charmed all of us. I made some 7 stops enroute – once even walking a few steps up a hill to touch the snow. The mirth was tectonic. The scenic curves continued all the way into Ardal. The house was just at the edge of fjord, across the river, surrounded by mountains and two waterfalls, which can be seen from drawing room. The house was a luxurious 3 bedroom, elegantly furnished, with full kitchenette, with private parking and was just opposite a big kiwi supermarket – icing on the cake. We felt we wasted a day in Olso.
| outside ardal town |
| enroute to ardal |
| enroute to ardal |
| near the petrol pump |
| just outside our house in Ardal |
3 days around Flam
Flam is a town situated in the
middle of Norway, known for its picturesque fjord, river and surrounding
landscape. Flamsbana (the popular mountain scenic train), zip line (europe’s
longest one), flam cruise, beach, trekking and biking from Myrdal to flam,
Segastien view point – these are some of the popular attractions.
S had done some net-exploration
about flam. Her neophilia led us to pin a place called ‘viking valley’ in
Gudvagen near flam. This has also incited some excitement in her, which
essentially means, we had no choice but to head straight to flam on first day
from Ardal. The shorter route takes about an hour from flam. It goes
through Lardeal tunnel – the world’s longest tunnel – 25kms long. There were parking shoulders inside the tunnel
with ambient lighting. We headed to stegastein view point first.
The hilly climb to the view point was venturesome. The road was so narrow that
only one vehicle can either go up and come down. The vehicle on the opposite
side has to give way by going to the edge of road and give way for the other
side. Unfortunately, due to some incident, there was a pile up after half way.
It was quite an adventure turning vehicle back down midway. Flamsbana was fully
booked and viking valley was just a museum - read worthless. But we discovered a
kayaking option right behind the museum – which was also fully booked that day.
We finally extracted something out of the jinxed day, by visiting a waterfall
near Aurlandsfjellet on the way back home. We parked in a narrow spot and
trekked few meters down the forest following a trail to a beautiful waterfall.
We were awestruck by the falls and location. Vidur and I further went further
in to touch the gushing water. It was worth the extra hour’s drive.
| aurlandfjillet falls |
| lardeal tunnel |
|
| Kayak |
|
| stegastian view point |
| view from flamsbanna train |
We decided to keep the third day very relaxed. Ardal has plenty of waterfalls and treks nearby. I was keen on doing a trek with vidur. We headed to ’vettifossen’. It’s a 2-hour trek up a mountain leading to the bottom of the falls. we were greeted by a nice waterfalls to begin with, a few meters from the parking lot, which is the starting point of trek. S and vedha decided to stay back after a short walk. Vidur and I trekked for about 75mins beyond which the it started to get very steep and arduous. Vidur at that point lost interest and wanted to return back. We saw 3 waterfalls enroute. Though the final one – vettifossen should be best of the lot, I still decided to give it to the boy and returned to base camp where both girls were relaxing the milieu.
| outside ardal |
| outside house in ardal final day |
Alesund
is 5-hour drive from Ardal. There is route via Geiranger which takes 30mintues more,
albeit more scenic. Salso had Geiranger in her wish list. It is one of the
most beautiful fjords in Norway, a UNESCO world heritage site, and has also
been named as Scandanavia’s best destination by Lonely Planet for its
spectacular scenery. Cruise ships pile during the four-month tourist season. we
took the longer route, with an idea to finish off Geiranger even it meant
reaching Alesund little late in the day; after all this place has the luxury of
sunlight till 11.30pm during summers.
| enroute to geiranger |
| Geiranger Fjord |
| on top of ferry |
| from geiranger |
Final destination in Norway – Alesund
A
fine two bedroom apartment on the 4th floor on one of the few buildings which
had elevator. Unlike the previous home, there was no key box, and hence I had
to coordinate with the host to time the arrival and receipt of keys – yet no
hassle; surely was a better choice than a hotel.
Alesund
is a costal town on the Atlantic – a bit congested, narrow streets with steep
slopes going up and down around our neighborhood, and about 5 degrees colder
than flam. It has an airport though; hence the plan was to fly out of alesund
to Amsterdam.
Both
Vs had come with choice of things-to-do in Alesund. Atlantic road – one of most
popular roads in the world, which was a three hour drive from alesund - was
part of our itinerary. By now, kids were hoary of mountain drives; hence thought
of bringing some variety into the trip. We spent around half a day at ‘sea
world’ in alesund. It was loaded with
shows: penguin, Seal, whale, etc, acquarium, cafeteria, interactive zones with
sea creatures. My little girl calmly held a live crab in her hand. We had a
wholesome family outing, with kids having a ball at the play area towards the
end, while we both sat there quietly enjoying the horizon over the sublime atlantic.
We also went to Aksla viewpoint – got a nice view of town before returning
home.
We
were just in time at the Geiranger booking station for booking the 1pm ride. There
was pestilential, soul stirring, consistent drizzle to mild showers on and off.
Having come for second time, regardless of shower, we still went on for the
ride. The protective gears were good
enough to keep us dry inside, yet due to the sheer speed, the rain droplets were
pelting our eyes and head – making me embrace vedha, close to my body covering
her head with my palm. The scenery was dazzling with several waterfalls with
varying density all along. The ride was bumpy, like a roller coaster on water –
ofcourse it was a speed boat. Despite
the discomfort caused by rain, the kids did not flinch. They came out happy at
the end of it. I still felt it was a better choice than Atlantic road.
| on the way back to alesund |
| from speed boat |
| on way back to alesund |
Since it was only 2ish, we had time to take a detour to trollstingen enroute to
Alesund. Trollstingen is one of the most popular and fascinating roads in
Norway. Since we had enough dosage of
hairpins for last 5 days, folks wanted to head back and relax with a maggi
dinner and Netflix movie.
Our
flight to Amsterdam was at 3pm the following day. I had booked SAS airline: Alesund
– Copenhagen – Amsterdam with an hour hop in CPH. I was aware about the pilot
strike in SAS which got resolved a month prior to our travel; still, I was checking
the departure and arrival of flights from alesund regularly. Over the last one
week, flights were on reaching on time. Around 6pm, we started packing our
bags. Having heard so much about baggage delays in major European airports, I
insisted to pack valuable clothes and accouterment for two days in cabin bags;
with the idea - should the bags not arrive in Amsterdam on time, we are still
ok to spend last two days and head back to Dubai – without much laceration.
I
went online, to reconfirm weight allowed in cabin. As I was sifting through my
mails, I showed S a notification from SAS airlines, that the itinerary has been
cancelled; I have an option to take next day flight or get full refund!. We
both looked at each other in mock horror. Until a day back, the website showed
the flights were reaching on time - from Alesund to Copenhagen. For a minute, I
just sat there frozen momentarily, whilst grappling with the situation,
calculating what next. I checked KLM flights to Amsterdam for next day; it was
costing $3.5k additionally. I lost faith in SAS now and thought of booking KLM
– a visceral reaction. S propounded, is Amsterdam really worth so much – no
way. From my earlier attempts, I knew getting connected to SAS call center was
next to impossible. I decided to drive down to airport, which was 12 minutes
away, in pursuit of a SAS desk inside the airport. It was 7pm and it was
drizzling outside. The streets lay bare and solitary. I heaved though those 15 minute drive evaluating
plan B. Plan B: drive down to olso – though
7 hours from alesund; stay overnight in aiport hotel; ditch Amsterdam and escape
from Dubai from Olso directly. I was connected to S all through. In those anxious
15 minutes, all of them were falling in place – emirates reschedule did not
cost much, airport hotel options were aplenty, and Sixt agreed for a day
extension. By the time I reached airport, I was breathing with a sigh of relief.
I entered the aiport check-in area, confoundedly looking at the vacant hall,
turning my head 360 d, trying hard to find a single soul inside the airport. A
coffee shop at one end had someone at the table. Upon my enquiry for SAS
counter, with wry smile, she asked me to knock at the door behind check-in
counters. As I was approaching the counter, co-incidentally a tall lady, middle
aged, attired in customary airport staff uniform, came out smiling at me –
asking ‘how can I help you’. I wanted to
ask, first is this an aiport for real!. I came straight to the point. Looking
at the bewilderment in my eyes, she said “at this hour there are no flights and
hence usually quiet. She was able to connect to someone at the SAS operations
in a minute – a miracle; and gave me an option for 6am flight next day to
Amsterdam via oslo. The original schedule was at 4pm next day via Copenhagen. I
kept her on hold, had a quick chat with S and decided it is better than plan B.
I took it and came home at 9pm with the boarding pass. The lost excitement in
S’s face regurgitated.
Besides
the fiasco, it was a very efficient flight. We reached Amsterdam airport on
time. The wait for baggage at the airport was excruciating, due to the anxiety
of whether we will in fact get our checked in bags. The arrival area in Schipol
airport is a sight to behold. Large racks made of steel, with multiple layers
of rows and columns, about 10 feet tall, spanning across the arrival hall, were
loaded with unclaimed suitcases and bags. I surmised these bags could be abandoned
ones or are waiting to be shipped back to rightful owner or just kept there
hoping someone would come back claiming for it.
Airports in Europe these days have special counters – many of them – with
sign ‘baggage complaint’.
Amsterdam
itinerary was tailor made for S. I have been on stags trip to Amsterdam before.
Going by N’s suggestion again, I had booked NH collection Barbizon palace, a
five star – for 3 nights. It was right across the central station, and safe
enough for kids. The number of museums
in the city seems to have increased compared to my visit last time. Vedha was very keen on Anne frank museum. She
had studied the whole story about Anne Frank before travelling.
Disappointingly, we were informed, it is booked for 3 weeks in advance. We took
the day pass for trams / busses on day 1; roamed around from one attraction to
another, exploring the city from outside, without spending a dime on overboard
entrance tickets.
We received email from emirates to reach airport at least 4 hours ahead of departure. Given that we had nothing to do on last day, we reached airport by 11am for 3.30pm flight. Long queues right from check in counters took us 2.5hours to go past the security clearance. The airport seems to be in mayhem incapacitated to handle the crowd. we had a safe flight back home.
Thanks
to God for blessing with a small yet wonderful break after almost 2 years of
pandemonium, uncertainty - enervating everyone with some disharmony in life.
I
hope and pray the pandemic comes to and end soon, and life returns to normalcy
for all.
Oh my, this was a lovely lovely read. I felt like I travelled on this holiday with the 4 of you. Thanks for sharing your experience and how much you enjoyed your holiday, the energy was palpable. I cannot but admit that I had a google dictionary open to get to your big words, which also I thoroughly enjoyed!
ReplyDelete